Civil engineering is a unique engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including but not limited to works like roads, bridges, canals, dams, and buildings. Civil engineering once a part of military engineering is the oldest discipline of all engineering fields. It was later on classified as a separate field of engineering from military engineering.
Civil engineering is a very broad field of engineering and is hard to classify due to the vast number of applications that lie within this field. Structures as huge as the Empire State Building and as simple as a common water well all lie under the field of civil engineering. Civil engineering relates to a variety of other fields such as Geophysics, Structural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Earth Science, Nanotechnology, Construction Engineering and Atmospheric Sciences.
In general, civil engineering is concerned with the overall interface of human created fixed projects with its environment. General civil engineers work closely with surveyors and specialized civil engineers to fit and serve fixed projects within the prescribed deadline at their given site, community and terrain by designing drainage, pavement, water supply, sewer service, electric and communications supply, and land divisions along with any other additional requirements that the contractor may set up. General engineers spend much of their time visiting project sites, planning a theoretical lay out of the project, and preparing construction plans.
Civil Engineering Universities in Pakistan
Below is a list of universities recognized by PEC for Civil Engineering,
- National University of Science and Technology, Islamabad
- Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology, Topi
- NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi
- University of South Asia, Lahore
- University of the Punjab, Lahore
- FAST Lahore
Job Scope for Civil Engineers in Pakistan
Most of Civil Engineers end up taking jobs in the field of construction. Construction is a very vast field which includes projects involving skyscrapers, bridges, roads, canals, ships, tunnels etc. Due to continuous urbanization in all parts of the world, demands for competent civil engineers never break down. Civil engineers might rarely take jobs not related to construction in fields of coastal engineering, environmental engineering and water resource engineering.
Pakistan is home to one of the fastest urbanizations in the world. People from the rural population are shifting towards urban population swiftly in search for jobs and a better career. This increases the demand for residential and commercial sites which in turn increases the employment rate of civil engineers.
Main Subjects for Civil Engineering
Subjects for Civil Engineering include;
- Engineering Mechanics – Study of transfer of force and motion
- Engineering Drawing – Technical manual drawing
- Computer Aided Drawing – Technical Software drawing
- Mechanics of Solids – Study of impact of force and stresses on Solids
- Engineering Geology – Study of terrain properties of the Earth’s crust
- Structural Analysis – Study of loads and strains on stationary structures
- Hydrology and Water Management – Deals with water wells and canal routing
- Engineering Economics – Deals with economics of construction
- Plain Reinforced concrete – Studying the most used ingredient for construction
- Surveying – Land surveying for building sites